The Bundahishn ("Creation"), or Knowledge from the
Translated by E. W. West, from Sacred Books of the East,
volume 5, Oxford University Press, 1897.
- The family of the Mobads ('priests').
- Bahak was son of Hubakht, son of Ataro-bondak, son of Mahdad,
son of Maidok-mah, son of Frah-vakhsh-vindad, son of Maidok-mah,
son of Kad, son of Maidok-mah, son of Arastih, son of Paitirasp.
2. As Bahak was Mobed of Mobads (high-priest) unto Shahpuhr, son
of Ohrmazd, so Kad was the great preceptor (farmadar) unto Darai.
- Adarbad [Mahraspandan] was son of Mahraspand, son of Dadarda,
son of Dadirad, son of Hudino, son of Adarbad, son of Manuschihar,
son of Vohuman-chihar, son of Fryano, son of Bahak, son of Faridoon,
son of Frashaitar, son of Pourushasp, son of Vinasp, son of Nivar,
son of Vakhsh, son of Vahidhros, son of Frasht, son of Gak, son
of Vakhsh, son of Fryan, son of Rajan, son of Durasrobo, son of
- Mitro-varazh was son of Nigas-afzud-dak, son of Shirtashosp,
son of Parshtva, son of Urvad-ga, son of Taham, son of Zarir,
son of Durasrobo, son of Manush 5. Durnamik was son of Zagh, son
of Mashvak, son of Nodar, son of Manuschihar.
- Mitro-akavid is son of Mardan-veh, son of Afrobag-vindad,
son of Vindad-i-pedak, son of Vaebukht, son of Bahak, son of Vae-bukht.
7. The mother from whom I was born is Humai, daughter of Freh-mah,
who also was the righteous daughter of Mah-ayar son of Mah-bondak,
son of Mah-bukht. 8. Puyishn-shad is son of Mardan-veh, son of
Afrobag-vindad, son of Vindad-i-pedak, son of Vae-bukht, son of
Bahak, son of Vae-bukht.
- All the other Mobads who have been renowned in the empire
(khudayih) were from the same family it is said, and were of this
race of Manuschihar. 10. Those Mobads, likewise, who now exist
are all from the same family they assert, and I, too, they boast,
whom they call 'the administration of perfect rectitude' (Dadakih-i
Ashovahishto). 11. Yudan-Yim son of Vahram-shad, son of Zartosht,
Adarbad son of Mahraspand, son of Zadspram, Zadspram son of Yudan-Yim,
Adarbad son of Hamid, Ashovahisht son of Freh-Srosh, and the other
Mobads have sprung from the same family.
- This, too, it says, that 'in one winter I will locate (jakinam)
the religion of the Mazdayasnians, which came out into the other
- On the reckoning of the years.
- Time was for twelve thousand years; and it says in revelation,
that three thousand years was the duration of the spiritual state,
where the creatures were unthinking, unmoving, and intangible;
and three thousand years was the duration of Gayomard, with the
ox, in the world. 2. As this was six thousand years the series
of millennium reigns of Cancer, Leo, and Virgo had elapsed, because
it was six thousand years when the millennium reign came to Libra,
the adversary rushed in, and Gayomard lived thirty years in tribulation.
3. After the thirty years Mashye and Mashyane grew up; it was
fifty years while they were not wife and husband, and they were
ninety-three years together as wife and husband till the time
when Hooshang came.
- Hooshang was forty years, Tahmurasp thirty years, Yim [Jamshed]
till his glory departed six hundred and sixteen years and six
months, and after that he was a hundred years in concealment.
5. Then the millennium reign came to Scorpio, and Dahak [Zohak]
ruled a thousand years. 6. After the millennium reign came to
Sagittarius, Faridoon reigned five hundred years; in the same
five hundred years of Faridoon were the twelve years of Airik,
Manuschihar was a hundred and twenty years, and in the same reign
of Manuschihar, when he was in the mountain fastness (dushkhvar-gar),
were the twelve years of Frasiyav; Zob the Tuhmaspian was five
- Kay Kobad was fifteen years; Kay Kaus, till he went to the
sky, seventy-five years, and seventy-five years after that, altogether
a hundred and fifty years; Kay Khosraw sixty years; Kay Lohrasp
a hundred and twenty years; Kay Vishtasp, till the coming of the
religion, thirty years, altogether a hundred and twenty years.
- Vohuman son of Spend-dad a hundred and twelve years; Humai,
who was daughter of Vohuman, thirty years; Darai son of Chihar-azhad,
that is, of the daughter of Vohuman, twelve years; Darai son of
Darai fourteen years; Alexander the Ruman fourteen years.
- The Ashkanians bore the title in an uninterrupted (a-arubak)
sovereignty two hundred and eighty-four years, Ardashir son of
Papak and the number of the Sasanians four hundred and sixty years,
and then it went to the Arabs.